Monday, March 28, 2011

EDOL 533: Week 4- Powerpoint Presentation

   

      The Powerpoint presentation that I am discussing for this blog was for a resource "World History" class of Special Needs high school freshman and sophomores. The presentation was for a lesson on English Monarchs, and specifically covered the "Tudors."
     The item in my presentation for which I am most proud is the slides that covered Bloody Mary, the English Queen that wiped out thousands of Protestants in an attempt to wipe out Christianity and bring all power back to the Catholic church. The students really loved the graphics and the interesting nature of insanity which was embroiled within the Tudor bloodline. As I went through the slides with them, I approached the subject with them in terms that made the history of who the Tudor's were relevant to their generation and understandable within their culture. The students always seem to get the lesson on a much deeper level when I am able to break it down for them in terms that they understand and can relate to. Graphics are also such a huge part in getting the lesson across to the kids that I work with, and if I can be successful at creating and properly placing the right graphics along with the information I am teaching them, together they seem to create a synergy that drive the lesson right home for the kids, and they really seem to buy into the lesson, and consequently do really well on the chapter tests when I use the Powerpoint presentations as a medium for test review. The presentations are a fantastic tool for quizs and test review, in regard to being able to "measure" what the kids have retained of the chapter lessons. They can be used in such a way that you can make a game of the review, and the kids actually look forward to the end of the chapters so that we can do the test reviews, and they get to compete against one another or a teams, usually with some sort of "treat" provided to the winning team. I love using technology as a vital tool to reach the students, and Powerpoint is a great tool to add to ones arsenal of vehicles in which to reach the newer generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment