Monday, March 28, 2011

EDOL 533: WEEK 3 - DTP





     Holding a degree in Mass Communications with an emphasis in Graphic Design, I have a real passion for desktop publishing and find that I use it pretty much daily in my jobs as a substitute teacher and sports writer for a local paper. I am also a local coordinator for Special Olympics and find that I create, implement, and distribute print media quite frequently. As a freelance graphic designer, I specialize in the creation of "print" media, and have a small functional bedroom studio in Marshall County, Kentucky, entitled "In2uitive Designs." You can view my work at my studio website here:
http://www.in2uitivedesigns.com

     I have used DPT in the classroom to create everything from graphic rich lesson plans to simple permission forms to be sent home to parents. I have also created multiple projects that make use of the computer labs at school, and allow the students to use desktop publishing to create reports that require them to use the internet to research information, locate and place graphics within the document that helps to tell their story or support their theory, etc. The kids love having the opportunity to create as they learn, and as we are a "Title 1" school, it is especially a big deal and a wonderful treat for those students who have no access to a computer at home. It's interesting that as the students begin to really buy in to the project, they don't even really realize that they are "learning."  I have found that the kids retain much more information on a particular subject when they are allowed to actually take ownership of the assignment, and they really enjoy working together to locate the data they need to communicate about their assigned topic. It is very interesting to see how 2 different sets of kids working on the same assignment can interpret the lesson different from one another, and use a completely different set or style of graphics, yet tell the same story. 





     



No comments:

Post a Comment